Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Chocolate :)

LONDON
Wouldn't it be lovely if the world was made of chocolate? Well, maybe not, but recently it seems as if chocolate is the main focus of Europe. Everywhere we've been there have been more sweet and chocolate shops than the average number of chocolate bars a person consumes in their life time. 

To find out the reason, of course, posed a potentially vital and very interesting socialogical study, so I decided to take it on.
So far we've been to BerlinParis and London so I can tell you my ratings and my opinions on what each place has to offer chocolate-wise.
      
In Berlin one may think of plain German chocolate bars, but the most common form of chocolate there is baked into their scrummy cakes. We tried their chocolate tart which was creamy and rich, sugary at first tase and leaving you stuffed. For those who enjoy coffee, we also got to try a very light and fluffy mocha cake which was very sweet had a more airy flavor. Both these cakes gave us some fascinating insight on German culture; for instance the chocolate there is sweeter and more milky chocolate and not just straight up cocoa beans like the American Trader Joe's 70% chocolate bar.
Sideways photo of sweet shop-Paris
In Paris we found chocolate in its highest art. One of the chocolate shops we visited had a tantalizing chocolate fountain and delicate little truffles for almost €10 per gram. At another chocolate shop called Angelina we had the famous "African Hot Chocolate." This hot cocoa put Swiss Miss (my preferred instant brand) to immediate shame. It was so rich you had to eat it with a spoon and left the four of us so full after one cup, we skipped lunch (a very rare phenomenon for the 3 square meal HarHars). I concluded that Paris chocolate is either extremely delicate or incredibly rich. Again though, we did not find much dark chocolate, just creamy. 

Back in our temporary home country, we went to a wonderful restaurant in Weymouth called Perry's. For dessert we had the most delectable chocolate truffles I have ever tasted. They were about 2 in. in diameter and filled with dark, rich, thick chocolate. After eating two of them though, I had the uncomfortable sensation that they were expandning inside of me and I would never be hungry again. I then decided that England is the place to get dark chocolate and when I got back to London, I wanted to make some truffles. 

Epilogue: I made my dark chocolate truffles in proper British fashion. They are just as amazing and I'm afraid they will be eaten up alarmingly quickly. . . .

Abby

1 comment:

  1. Also...a wonderful new little chocolate shop has opened up on Arroyo Ave. in San Carlos...mouth watering chocolate truffles and English toffee!

    ReplyDelete