Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Kabap


MADRID, SPAIN
As we walked out of the one thousandth museum in Madrid and I was craving a döner kabap. For those of you who a not familiar with this European traditions, a döner kabap is a falafel sandwich with meat shaved off of a huge rotating spit made of a compilation of many different meats.We found the perfect place in a corner of Madrid's plaza del sol. As we walked in, we were cheerfully greeted by a young (middle eastern?) man who took our orders in a friendly way and even accepted Mom's order of a drink even after we had already paid. 

Once we had received our enormous döner kabaps, I sat down and began to eat, very satisfied. Little did I know that I would soon be grappling with a violent internal struggle. Dad said to me, "I know you'll hate to hear this but he's your man," he pointed to our server "you should ask him about the Christmas traditions" 

I almost choked on my kabap, "What??" I gasped. It slowly dawned on me that he was referring to the spanish assignment I had been given before I left, that I had conveniently pushed to the way back of my mind. The assignment was to ask (in Spanish) about the Christmas traditions in Spain as well as ask for directions and order in a restaurant. I had done both the latter but still had the most awkward one left.

"No, no no no no, please no dad!!" I pleaded but it was no use, I had no alternative. The rest of my döner became tasteless and I didn't even finish my Fanta, which is a very rare occurance. After about two days, we finished our food then dad said, 

"Now"s the time!" I got to my feet and began to walk up to the counter, but then sat back down. "He's really busy dad," I said this despite the fact that there was no one else in the cafe. My mom and dad ended up going to the counter and asking him over to our table. It turned out he was Muslim, but he knew a bit about Madrid culture so he came over.

The already awkward situation became even more awkward, how was I supposed to ask someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, their Christmas traditions? I started out,

"Para mi escuela, nececito aprender los traditiones para la navidad en españa" 
"¿que es? I added helpfully.
After a bit more clarification he started to speak about their traditions. Because of his rapid spanish, it was hard for me to understand all of what he said but I go the general gist of the conversation. Here is what I learned:
- spanish people all get together with family and friends on the 24th of december
- they also give gifts on the 24th, parents to children, friends to friends, boyfriends to girlfriends, relatives to relatives
- only children 7 and under receive gifts on the 25th from "papa nöel"
- they also celebrate "tres Reyes" (three Kings) day on the 6th and 7th of January where the little kids get more presents
-there is lots and lots of dancing on both dates 
Relieved, I said a hasty "muchas gracias" and started to get up from my stool, but my mom began to launch into whether he celebrated Christmas or not. It turned out that he did not but he did acknowledge the birth of Christ. 

With another "muchas gracias" we left the shop with him telling us we could come back any time. 

"Now wasn't that fun?" dad asked as we walked back down toward the plaza mayor "let's just say I can check this one off my list, it was memorable." I replied. 

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment