Monday, September 5, 2011

Packing

SAN CARLOS, CA
Unfortunately, we are not wizards like Harry Potter. If we were, then we could have just cast the spell "pack" and all the things we needed would be neatly folded in our suitcase (as done in the 5th book by Tonks with Harry's school trunk).  Anyway, the "muggle style" packing sensation is sweeping the  Har Har household, in more ways than one. Firstly, we had to pack up all our personal items and put them in boxes in the basement for the renters. This also spurred an enormous household cleanup day where my dad revealed all the things about the house that bothered him since we moved in (several of these things I had never even noticed). Once the stained wall patches had been repainted and the paintings hung up in their correct positions, we packed up our rooms and I was able to see 50% more floor space in my room than I had in many years.

The second aspect of packing is the clothes, books and necessity packing.  Each of us has a uniquely colored duffel or under the plane bag and a smaller carry on roller bag as well as a personal backpack or purse. All of us have our own lists and we go about them in different ways. My mom's consists of a table of different categories listing the exact amount of clothing in each one. My dad's is an excel spreadsheet that probably has some mathematical formula wired into it although I haven't checked.  My sister's is similar to my mom's except saying that she will bring 5 shirts but somehow ending up with 10. My packing list is just a plain list but I do have similar tactics of my sister's. All in all, we will be constantly re-organizing our bags until we officially move out of the house on Wednesday.

Abby

1 comment:

  1. I admire your packing zeal. I, unfortunately, tend to procrastinate until the night before and end up with a jumble of clothes, stuff and flotsam and jetsam. And most of the clothes are black. sigh

    ReplyDelete