Monday, September 26, 2011

Memory Lane in Kent

CANTERBURY
This weekend we hopped (if you don't count all the closed tube line encounters) on to a train to Kent, where we lived from 2001 to 2004. Our first year there was spent in a house in Canterbury, and the rest of the time in Whitstable, a neighboring town. We walked through the town, had lunch with some old friends, tea with neighbors, and visited some familiar landmarks.

Below: downtown Canterbury and St. Edmund's
I remember quite a lot from my time there, but it's a bit scattered. Walking through downtown I was able to connect places and times better. A particular parking lot brought back the time when Mom was learning to drive on the left side of the road nearby. The cathedral reminded of the field trips I'd been on there.



It was lovely to see our friends the Bushells for lunch. We've all changed, but we have lots of memories in common. We walked up to St. Edmund's, our old school. Everything was drastically smaller than I remember it to be. I peeked into my old classroom, and was astonished to find stick figure drawings proudly displayed. At seven I felt like the queen of the hill, but my drawings looked just like the ones hanging in the hall.

Our (first) house was very much the same. Our neighbors Bernard and Doris had been wonderful to us while we lived there, and they gladly welcomed us unannounced for tea. We picked apples as we had nine years before, although this time I didn't need a stool. It was lovely to see everything again, and spend time with people I haven't seen in so long. There's been a lot of change (including ourselves), but much is the same as well.

Lily

1 comment: