Sunday, December 4, 2011

On Top of the World

Above: the interior of the Reichstag dome in Berlin
Below: a view from the Berliner Dom in Berlin

Below: a view from the Arc de Triomphe in Paris

Wow. I've been saying that a lot lately as I visit European capitals. It is most frequently accompanied by several huffs and puffs and fumbles for a camera. So far we have been treated to views of London, Paris, and Berlin, mostly in foggy weather.

In Berlin we were whisked in an elevator up to the base of the glass dome in the Reichstag. We continued up on foot using an audio commentary that explained each building we saw. The glass was so foggy that we had to bend over in order to see everything (see my last post for a poem about the experience).

Earlier in our trip we spontaneously decided to climb the Berliner Dom. It was twilight, and despite the clouds there were lovely streaks of orange sun. We could see the other domes around the city, as well as the rather inharmonious TV tower.

Paris is perhaps the city most famous for its views. We, however, decided against the Eiffel Tower, so we climbed the Arc de Triomphe instead. It is perhaps even more exciting than Eiffel's monument because it stands in the middle of a twelve-boulevard round-about (or traffic circle). I had lots of fun watching the cars weave in and out, some going around several times before they managed to reach their exit. We could see up each tree-lined street, giving the impression that we were truly in the center of the city.

Although Paris is mostly flat, there is one hill, on which the white domed church Sacre Coeur is perched. We wound our way up the hill on little staircases and past squares full of artists and people enjoying coffees at outdoor cafes. The view from the top was very different from the one on top of the arch. We were over the city, instead of in it and there were no traffic directing opportunities. The view was stunning, nonetheless.

Back in our home city of London there have been several opportunities for looking out over the metropolis. Abby and I climbed St. Paul's together about a month ago. It is especially rewarding because we got to look down on the inside of the cathedral first, before climbing to the outside of the dome. Seeing the frescoes up close really impressed upon me their size and detail. We also tried the whispering trick, and we managed to exchange a "hello" from across the dome by speaking softly into the wall. To get outside we climbed between the inner and outer domes on a series of tightly wound metal staircases. Once we reached the top we could follow the Thames down to Westminster and the Eye, and make out the Tower of London on the bank.

Just two days ago we decided to go up the London Eye with our cousins, even though we had all done it together several years ago. Included in our ticket was a short 4D movie, the fourth dimension being weather. Fireworks popped out of the screen towards us, and we were surrounded by some ghastly smelling fog. After a few minutes of some good screams, we hopped into one of the glass pods. I really liked being able to take in the view slowly and from different angles. We could spot my dad waiting down below, and we all got very excited when we could make out him taking a sip of his coffee. Everything was just beginning to light up, and St. Paul's was a glow around the bend in the river.

I think getting a good view is an important part of seeing a city. It gives me perspective on the layout of everything when I spend so much time on underground transport. I see buildings in a different way after I've seen them from above, and it gives me a picture that I associate with the city long after I've gone home.

As I write this we're on our way to Amsterdam, and I'll have to find a good building to climb so I can continue my collection of views.

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment